Courgette risotto with crispy bacon bits
This risotto is creamy and light with the perfect salty crunch from the crispy bacon bits. It’s a perfect spring dish celebrating the courgette ️
Ingredients (3-4 people):
2 large courgettes, chopped into 1-2cm cubes
3 slices smoked bacon (optional if veggie)
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1L veg stock
2 handfuls grated Parmesan
150ml white wine
1 knob butter
3 tbsp double cream (optional or could use creme fraiche if you’re trying to be healthier!)
Salt and pepper
225g risotto rice
Zest of one lemon
1. Heat your oven to 180 degrees. Put your courgette in a baking dish with salt and pepper and 1tbsp oil. Mix and roast for 45 mins or until slightly crispy and golden, turning occasionally.
2. While that is roasting, fry the onion at a medium temperature in a deep frying pan or another deep pan with a drizzle of oil for 5 mins. Add in the garlic and fry for 3 mins. Keep stirring!
3. Add white wine and cook it until it has nearly disappeared.
4. Add your butter. Add in your rice and cook for 2 mins, stirring.
5. Add in your stock about 100ml at a time. Turn your pan to low. Keep stirring, when one lot of stock has almost disappeared add the next 100ml. If you have any Parmesan rinds you can add these too! They will mostly melt away and add flavour and you can remove them before serving.
6. Keep tasting the rice and when it is slightly al dente but not uncooked, stop adding stock. If you feel you need more liquid, keep adding more stock but 1L worked for me.
7. Whilst that is cooking, chop your bacon into small bits and fry in another pan until crispy. Remove and put on some kitchen towel to drain away the fat.
8. When your risotto is al dente, add in your cream, the lemon zest and the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in your courgettes from the oven. Top with the bacon bits to serve.