Spicy tomato and seafood paella
Happy Friday everyone! For I’m sharing my go-to paella recipe
It has SUCH a depth of flavour and I add a little tomato and spice as a little twist. Save this recipe and recreate it!
Ingredients (3-4 people):
1 onion, finely chopped
250g squid, sliced into small cubes
Olive oil for frying
2L fish stock (I used lobster stock but stock pots are a good alternative)
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Bunch parsley, roughly chopped
300g paella rice
150ml white wine
4 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp paprika
1 hot red chilli (or a few mild)
Seafood of choice (I went for plaice and prawns)
1. Cut up your squid and fry in a drizzle of olive oil. Fry for 5 mins, then add 750ml of stock. Simmer gently for 45-60 mins or until stock has nearly disappeared. This makes the squid super tender.
2. Add another glug of olive oil, then fry your onion in olive oil for 10 mins. Add the garlic and fry for 5 mins. Add your white wine and cook off for 2-3 mins.
3. Add parsley stalks, anchovies, your chilli chopped, tomato paste and rice and fry for 5 mins. Add your stock, 100ml at a time on a low simmer, stirring a lot. After the first 100ml, cook until it’s disappeared then add the next one.
4. After about half the stock is used add the paprika and the saffron. Once you have nearly used all the stock your rice should be nearing al dente. If not, when the stock runs out add more stock in 100ml batches until it is al dente. Add the butter, taste the paella and season well with salt and pepper. Mix in all of the parsley, and don’t stir from this point on.
4. Cook your fish of choice. I fried the prawns for 2 mins each side then rested, and the plaice for 45 seconds each side. Top the rice with the fish or shellfish and any leftover parsley.